Employment Overview for International Students

Employment Overview 

Employment options for international students are limited due to federal regulations. Global Student & Scholar Services does not offer advising or instructions for obtaining H1-B status or other employment visas. Visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website for information.

International students must be in legal F-1 status in order to be eligible for any type of employment. All types of employment must be approved by Global Student and Scholar Services at EWU and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

  • Any unauthorized employment is illegal and a violation of F-1 status. A violation of status can lead to denial of status benefits, arrest, deportation and being barred from returning to the United States.
  • Those in J-1 status may work only if employment is specified as a part of their scholar program.
  • All employees are required to have a Social Security Number at the time of employment.
  • All International students are required to complete U.S. Tax forms, whether they are employed or not. Most tax forms must be submitted to the government by April 15 of each year.

Employment of Dependents

  • Those in F-2 status (spouse or children of F-1 students) are not eligible for employment.
  • Those in J-2 status (dependents of J-1 scholars) may apply for work authorization. J-2 employment cannot be for the purpose of financially supporting the J-1 scholar.