Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training Information

This is an opportunity for International Students to be employed in an internship or practicum position during the course of their studies. For more details, meet with an International Student Advisor at least two months before you plan to begin an internship opportunity.

Curricular Practical Training Approval Procedures

As a student in F-1 status, you may apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization for a paid internship, practicum or co-op opportunity.

Work performed may be an optional or required part of your course work but must be an integral part of the curriculum. Students must be registered for credits at EWU that relate to the internship or practicum at the time that the employment begins.

In order to be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be in lawful F-1 student status and have been a full time student for at least nine (9) months before applying. There is an exception for graduate programs that require students to begin required internship course work earlier.
  • The Curricular Practical Training must be defined as an internship or practicum.
  • You must be registered for a course corresponding to the internship or practicum at the time that you will be employed. The course work must apply towards your degree program.
  • You must have a job or internship offer before being approved for work authorization.

If you meet the above conditions, submit the following documents to an International Student Advisor:

  • CPT Approval Form - completed by you and your academic advisor, department head or dean.
  • Proof of registration in appropriate internship course.
  • Your current Form I-20.
  • Evidence of job / internship offer including beginning and end dates, job description and name of supervisor, including their contact information.

Note: Submit Documents at least 10 working days before you plan to begin employment. If everything is in order, you will be issued a new I-20 showing your CPT authorization.

  • You are not authorized to begin employment until your I-20 has been properly endorsed.
  • If you engage in full-time CPT for twelve months or more, you will no longer be eligible for Optional Practical Training.