On-Campus Employment for International Students

On-Campus Employment Information

Only international students in legal F-1 status may work on-campus. International students do not need authorization from USCIS for on-campus employment. You may work up to 19 hours per week during academic terms and full-time during breaks or vacation periods.

International students will need a Social Security Number in order to work in the United States.

As an international student, you are eligible for Campus Employment positions but not Work Study positions.

Where to Find On-Campus Jobs

To look for on-campus employment, visit the Career Services Office in 114 Showalter Hall.

Once you find an on-campus job you want to apply for, act fast. Jobs fill quickly and sometimes an employer will hire the first person who asks about the job. If no jobs are available when you look, keep checking back to see when new jobs are posted. Jobs most frequently open near the beginning and end of the quarter.

How to Apply for an On-Campus Job

Step 1: Visit the International Education Office to request an I-9 Form and to check that you have a Social Security Number. Complete section 1 of the I-9 Form and an International Student Advisor will complete section 2.

Step 2: Take the completed I-9 Form to the Career Services Office (Showalter 114) and request a Student Referral Form for the position you want to apply for. Complete the Student Referral Form and take it to the department that you are applying to as soon as possible. If you are selected for the position, the department will complete the employer section of the forms.

Step 3: With the Student Referral Form, I-9 Form and W-4 Form completed, go back to the Career Services Office. The Career Services Office will give you an Employment Authorization Form (you complete the top sections and the department completes the bottom section) and a Direct Deposit Authorization Form. Once both forms are completed by you and the department, take them back to the Career Services Office.

Step 4: Contact your supervisor (the person who hired you) about when you begin working and what your schedule will be.

When You Begin Working

Time Sheets

Student employees are not to work more than 19 hours per week during academic terms. Student employees may work full-time during annual vacations and breaks. Misrepresenting the amount of time you work is grounds for dismissal. An employee is entitled to a paid 15 minute rest break for every 4 consecutive hours worked per day. After 5 consecutive hours of work in a day the employee is entitled to an unpaid meal period of at least 30 minutes. Meal break times need to be reflected in the in and out section on your time sheet. Student employees are not to work during the hours when they are scheduled to be in class. If the class is canceled, note that on the time sheet and identify the date and hours.

Pay Days

Pay days are the 10th and 25th of the month. If the pay day is on a Saturday or a holiday, the pay day will be the weekday before. If this is on a Sunday, pay day will be the following Monday. Hours worked and authorized for the 1st through the 15th of the month are paid on the 25th of that month and hours for the 16th through the end of the month are paid on the 10th of the following month.

Pay Distribution Options

You can either have your check sent to your home address by mail or have electronic funds deposited directly to your bank account. Electronic funds deposits are highly recommended.


When calling in sick or if you can not go to work, make sure you talk to your supervisor or another full-time staff member in the department where you work. Give them as much notice as possible that you will not be there.

All employees of EWU are required to abide by the policies governing review and release of student education records. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 mandates that information contained in a student's education record must be kept confidential and outlines the procedures for review, release and access of such information. Talk to a supervisor before giving out any personal information about students.