Current Documents

C. Current Documents

It is important that all of your immigration documents are correct & up to date at all times.  GSSS reports on all students and Exchange Visitors every term and whenever your information changes. Your immigration advisor needs your help to provide current information.

  • Submit a Immigration Datasheet by the 10th day of your first term, and each Fall term thereafter. Datasheets are used in the process of updating your records with the Department of Homeland Security. You must submit full, complete, and accurate information, especially local residential address (including both street address and apartment #), valid phone number, and working Eagles email address in order to facilitate reporting at the start of the year.
  • If any of the required datasheet information changes at any point during the year, you must update GSSS immediately. Failure to submit timely updates is a violation of status.
    • If you change where you live – even to a different apartment in the same building, let us know immediately using the Immigration Updates Form. You are required to provide the information within 10 days. Make sure you include the house or building number, street name, apartment number or letter (if you have one), city, and zip code. If you have trouble finding all the information, come see us. Updating the EWU general system with accurate information through the myEWU portal  is equally important and is your responsibility.
  • Your I-20 or DS-2019 must be valid with correct and complete information at all times. Check your program completion dates and area of study, and ask for updated documents when something changes.
    • Never throw away an old document even when no longer valid. You may need it 20 years from now.
  • Check the I-94 Arrival Departure Records and passport stamps for yourself and any dependents immediately after every arrival in the United States to make sure that you have been admitted in the correct status (F-1, J-1) and time period (D/S or “Duration of Status”). Visit to review your electronic record.Provide a copy to GSSS for your file each time you return to the U.S.
    • If you have trouble finding your I-94 record, or you find it has errors, GSSS can help. Failure to verify your admission status and/or correct errors after each arrival in the U.S. may result in a violation of status, accruing unlawful presence, and a potential ban on reentering the United States for 3 or 10 years.
  • Submit copies of any new immigration documents whenever you receive them (passport, visa, I-94 records, and so on) by using the Immigration Updates Form. You may also bring documents directly to the office and we will scan them for your file.
  • Your passport must always be valid while you are in the United States – do not let it expire during your stay. Only the issuing country can help you with renewal or replacement – contact your government’s Consulate with jurisdiction over Washington State as soon as possible if you need to replace or renew your passport.In the case of loss or theft, some Consulates require that a police report be filed.
  • You are required to carry your immigration “registration” document (I-94 or Employment Authorization Document card) with you at all times while you are in the United States. It is wise to keep a copy of your passport and visa with you as well if you are off campus and/or keep a copy securely in the cloud where you can access it easily.
    • The penalty for failing to have your I-94 is harsh – a fine of up to $100 and/or up to 30 days in jail.
  • Be sure you have signed your I-20 or DS-2019, and I-20s for F2 or J2 dependents.
  • Pay attention to your academic progress and apply for an extension of your I-20 or DS-2019 as early as possible and at least 30 days before the expiration date, if needed.
    • Immigration regulations permit extensions only under specific circumstances, so having time to research and determine eligibility and resubmit with additional documentation is very important.Late applications can result in denials when eligibility is not clearly established.
    • I-20s cannot be extended after they expire – even one day.
  • Nonimmigrant students must maintain valid health insurance that meets Department of State requirements and EWU standards at all times.  Waivers for the EWU insurance must be submitted or renewed each term by the 1st day of class.  Insurance is required for J-1 Exchange Visitor students doing AT, and is available on a quarterly basis by request to students participating in post-completion OPT.  Further information on EWU insurance and the waiver process is available on the EWU Global website.