Skip to content

Health Insurance

As of Fall 2019, EWU no longer requires F-1 International Students to show proof of health insurance. If you are an F-1 student, you will no longer see an "International Health Insurance" charge on your student account each term you enroll in classes.
Please note that J-1 students and scholars will need to show proof of coverage per visa regulations. If you are a J-1 student or scholar, contact our office with any questions by email at

What You Should Know:

Health care can be very expensive in the United States. You will be responsible for all of your medical costs unless you are covered by insurance. EWU strongly recommends that all international students, scholars, and family members have health insurance that covers them for the entire duration of their stay in the U.S. You should not wait to obtain health insurance until you are sick or injured.

There are several companies that offer student health insurance, including iNext International Insurance, PSI Health Insurance, and PGH Global.  Each of these companies offer coverage for students on an F-1 Visa. It is important to research your insurance coverage and make sure that it will cover everything you need (e.g. Dental, Vision, etc.)

Nonimmigrants (F- status students and dependents, and J Exchange Visitors) may qualify to use a Health Insurance Marketplace to find affordable individual coverage.   Washington State has it's own exchange and rules and can be accessed online at

NAFSA: Association of International Educators also provides a list of Global partners which offer insurance. NAFSA Association of International Educators Health Insurance Global Partners.